Thread: Female Advice Preferred: Is my period normal?
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 122,124, Level: 49 Points: 122,124, Level: 49 Points: 122,124, Level: 49

Re: Is my period normal? - February 23rd 2014, 03:31 PM

Hey Olivia!

What you're going through with your period seems pretty normal. As already mentioned, you got your first one not too long ago so you might be irregular. But yes, it can stop and come back sometimes, it has a mind of it's own! It may be helpful to wear a panty liner each day to freshen up or to wear them right before and after your period so you have a little extra protection.

If you can get to a store that sells feminine products, tampons might be something to try. That way you'll be able to swim! The best tampons for beginners are Lites. Tampons go by color, and the purple wrapping means that they're for a light flow. Tampax Pearl have good tampons for beginners. They key to inserting one is just to relax. If you're tense or nervous, there is a muscle down there that will clench, making it harder to insert one. Some women stand with one foot on the toilet which is also an idea that may work. First, make sure to wash your hands before unwrapping the tampon. Once you've done that, open it up. There's a grip where you put your thumb and index finger. To insert, hold the grip and push it in until your fingers touch the outside of your body. Then you can press the plunger to get rid of the applicator. This page will give you more information on tampon insertion.

It's in your best interest to wear a pad or a liner underneath (not when you're swimming) to give you more protection in case your tampon leaks. Tampons can be worn up to eight hours but should not be worn longer than that because of Toxic Shock Syndrome which comes from leaving a tampon in for too long. If you're not sure when to take your tampon out, you can lightly pull on the string. If it doesn't move and is painful then you don't need to remove it yet. If otherwise, you can remove it.

If you can't get to a store or you don't want to try tampons, can you have your mom write a note for you? You can also tell your teacher that you're having feminine issues or something along those lines. It may be embarrassing, but he has probably had sisters, a girlfriend, or a wife so he should understand.

Good luck!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers