View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 06:37 PM

As Sabah mentioned, there are a lot of different types of anti-depressants. Some are taken in the morning, others at night. Some have sedative-like effects whereas others do not. Some are higher dosage whereas others are weaker. I've been on 2 different types of medication. One was a sedative anti-depressant which I took at night time, it helped me combat my never ending insomnia and helped me get a good night's rest and then it helped me feel good and refreshed in the morning. The second which I'm currently on is a little different, I stil ltake it at night but it isn't a sedative and isn't for assisting in the combat of insomnia but is prescribed as a higher dosage.

Naturally with all medication there are side-effects but usually the most common is drowsiness, pupil dilation and nausea. It sounds bad but it's not. Not all medication is right for everyone. Some medication can cause one person side-effects whereas with another person they don't.

Personally, I was hesitant to begin on medication for personal reasons but the longer I chose to put it off the worse I got. Medication doesn't necessarily prevent the depression completely but it does help you to feel much better and more fuller during the day. You must ensure to be careful of what you take when on medication as whatever is being taken may clash and so it's better to seek advice from your GP before drinking alcohol or taking any other medication beforehand.

If you do feel you're at risk of taking your medication make sure someone handles your medication for you. Do not handle your own medication as you may be a risk to yourself. A lot of people say they won't do anything with their medication but once a person hits an ll time low where they feel they can't go on any longer, overdose is one of the main thoughts and with a handy supply of medication which they have easy access to, it's where they first go to try and help relieve themselves. Remember, give your medication to a family member who you live with who will make sure you take your medication and ensure that it's somewhere out of your reach. This is something your GP will agree that you should do because you don't want your medication to be a danger to yourself. It's there to help you feel better not to cause your death.

All in all, naturally all medication comes with side-effects but it's a matter of being sensible. Medication isn't the easy answer to depression it's just there to give you an uplift. In combination with your therapist, you can help yourself to get better.