View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
lmk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,283, Level: 12 Points: 7,283, Level: 12 Points: 7,283, Level: 12

Question The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 04:18 AM

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on the question of whether or not to take medication for depression. I have been struggling with depression for 6 years, and was officially diagnosed a couple months ago. Since I've been in treatment, the question of medication has come up.

Thus far in my life, I have only really heard bad things about anti-depressants. The two people I know who are/have been on meds have said that they feel zombie-like and emotionless to the point that they wouldn't care if someone died. It sounds incredibly scary, and the idea of messing with my own brain chemistry is very intimidating. I hate being depressed, but I do not want to be emotionless either.

On the other hand, however, is the fact that I have been dealing with this since I was 11. I have months where I feel better, but ultimately I always come back to depression. I have been in therapy since January of this year, and although I thought I was starting to feel better I have fallen right back into depression again and I don't know how much longer I can really handle this for. I have come very close to taking my own life, and I think that if something doesn't change soon I will eventually end up going through with it. This is just as scary as the idea of medication, and I tend to lean towards the benefits outweighing the risks.

I am really in need of some advice on this tough issue, and I hope that some people here may be able to give me their opinions or experiences. Any help would be very much appreciated!