View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 6th 2013, 02:21 PM

In his song Contradiction he sings about being a misogynist http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858841034/

I'm a white straight cis gendered male aged 22, so maybe I'm not meant to comment, but I don't see how someone singing about LGBT rights is a bad thing. I think it'd be a bad thing if it panders to the LGBT community as an audience like Lady Gaga does, but this is one song he has.

When it comes to homosexuality in the hip hop community, I suppose this is kind of noteworthy because it's very mainstream, it's out there on the radio, and it's hip hop that is easy to access for even the most casual listener. I would say that Frank Ocean's public coming out last year meant more because it wasn't this big mainstream thing. It was personal to him and his listeners, and he happened to be a part of the hip hop community.

I think in this case though Mackelmore's voice may as well be amplified. It's not like everything he does is about equal rights. So he has one song, it's not like everyone in the LGBT community is gonna become a fan because of one song. He isn't exactly pandering.