TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 34,246, Level: 26 Points: 34,246, Level: 26 Points: 34,246, Level: 26

Worrying about a late period. - January 4th 2016, 03:43 AM

I'm really kinda embarrassed to make this thread, but I need some advice.

My periods have been wonky since about October. I've been tracking my periods for a couple years now.

Since October my periods every month have been late by 2 days, or something like that. And normally my period is regular as can be, and when I was tracking it it was right on. And it was no big deal. But now...

My period was due last Tuesday, its now Sunday and there has been no sign of it.

I took a pregnancy test on Friday when my boyfriend was here, and it was negative. Which is actually what I was expecting, because in the last month we have barely had sex due to a bunch of reasons, and its all been protected. I mean we do have our moments of not being protected (which I know, is stupid, and I've learned my lesson before, trust me I have) But he has never cum in me, if its ever not protected its only for like a minute. I know that still has risks, we both know.

Plus I'm not on any birth control, I can't be on any hormonal birth control, lucky me. I'm on a medication that makes any hormonal birth control ineffective, so pretty much my only option is the copper IUD and I'm scared about getting that for my own personal reasons. And I can't just switch my medication, this has been the only medication that controls my severe migraines.

Anyway, so my period is late. And I don't know why its so late. Sure I was stressed a bit last month, but not anymore than normal, I've been more stressed and had my period like normal. And I'm sick right now. But I've been sick before and had my period (not fun) so it just doesn't make sense. Nothing makes sense.

Would it be worth testing again next weekend when my boyfriend is back, even though I'm pretty sure it will be negative again? The chances of me being pregnant are not very high from this last month. I just, I don't know whats going on and I'm getting a little worried and I don't know what to do. I don't feel comfortable talking to my mom about it, I only have my boyfriend to talk about it, and he has been amazing, but I also know talking to him about it makes him feel bad and worry about me. So I just want some other options. I also can't just go see a doctor on my own, as I don't currently have a drivers license, and there is no public transportation in my town (I live in the middle of nowhere) I would have to go through someone else, and while I could go through my boyfriend, he would be happy too... He is rarely here due to our distance (he lives two hours away from me) If I don't get a period at all in January, I WILL see a doctor.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just worrying about this and don't know where else to turn about it.

So any thoughts? Is it just stress finally getting to me? Or other health stuff? Should I test again? Should I just not worry about it so much?

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Worrying about a late period. - January 4th 2016, 10:40 PM

Hey Sarah!

Firstly, I know it's way easier said than done, but try not to stress. Your period isn't even a week late yet so there is no cause for alarm just yet. Even if your periods are always regular, it's not always a guarantee, you know? Getting sick, stress, changes in diet, etc. can all have an effect on your period. Even if some of those factors didn't affect it before, that doesn't mean they aren't now. The earliest you can take a test is two weeks after having sex which I'm sure you know. You can certainly take another one now if it will help ease your mind, but personally I would wait a little longer since you did just take one. If it gets to be two weeks or more that you are late, then I would advise testing again. I'm glad you don't think it's very likely you're pregnant, so hold onto that. A few years ago I once went two months without a period and I'm still not really sure why. Sometimes our cycles just get out of whack. So for now, I'd try and just stay calm and try and wait a little longer. I definitely think it's likely stress, especially since this is stressing you out even more.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 34,246, Level: 26 Points: 34,246, Level: 26 Points: 34,246, Level: 26

Re: Worrying about a late period. - January 5th 2016, 08:13 PM

Thanks Nicole, I really appreciate your answer. Really.

Its a week late as of today, still no sign of starting other than I got incredibly moody the other night. Which I do tend to get a few days before my period, but that could be anything. Like the stress getting to me, anything really.

I think my boyfriend and I will retest this weekend just to really rule pregnancy out once and for all, even though I'm pretty sure thats not it. But I don't know, I could be wrong. And just go from there and figure out what to do, he is worried about me. I'm stressing out, when I know I really need to not be. But its hard, I feel really alone and scared. And I feel guilty talking to him, because he feels guilty for making me worried. He feels like this is his fault somehow, when it isn't. So I keep trying to stay distracted when I can, though I'm running out of things to do, I don't have many people I talk to.

Anyway, thanks Nicole, I really appreciate the answer. I'm just trying to hold out my hope that its nothing. That my period is just being a douche and is late for no good reason. I actually looked back and found that about a year and a half ago it was about this late for no good reason (I wasn't sexually active at the time), this time I am sexually active so of course there is more to worry about. So it has happened before, I had just forgotten about it. So I'm just trying to hope for the best, and distract myself the best I can and get through this week.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Worrying about a late period. - January 7th 2016, 02:50 AM

It's definitely stressful, but I'm glad you're hanging in there! It's understandable that he feels guilty, but you're right in that it isn't his fault. Either way, everything is going to turn out okay. Make sure you update when you test again. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
Closed Thread